A fire engulfed and collapsed a Georgia home, killing three people early Saturday after several propane tanks exploded inside the home, officials said.
Firefighters responded to Hidden Acres Road in Barrow County just after 12:10 a.m. after the first explosion rocked the neighborhood and trapped several people in their home, Barrow County Emergency Services said.
“As the fire department arrived quickly, there were multiple explosions going on inside the home,” said Chief Alan Shuman. “The house was completely engulfed in fire, and it was collapsing due to the fire. Several vehicles were also involved.”
Neighbor Ashley Arias told FOX5 Atlanta she first heard “a boom,” followed about two minutes later by an explosion that “sounded like a bomb.”
CHICAGO FIREMAN LOSES ENTIRE FAMILY IN HOUSE FIRE
Multiple propane tanks stored inside a home caused an explosion and fire that killed three people early Saturday, fire officials said. (Barrow County Emergency Services)
“It was awesome,” Arias said. “People were screaming and it was bad.”
Two victims were taken to the hospital by ambulance, while the third victim was taken by helicopter, fire officials said. An update on his conditions was not immediately available.
Firefighters fought the flames and found three people dead inside the house, according to the authorities. (Barrow County Emergency Services, file)
Firefighters fought from a defensive position because of the intensity of the fire and multiple explosions inside the home, fire officials said.
After extinguishing the fire, the firemen found three people dead inside the house. Officials have not released the names or ages of the victims.
OHIO FAMILY ESCAPES DESTRUCTIVE HOUSE FIRE WAKE UP BY CAT
Multiple propane cylinders were found inside the home. Officials said the cylinders caused explosions and fires.
According to fire officials, three people have been taken to the hospital. There was no immediate update on their conditions. (iStock)
“This is a very tragic event that resulted in the loss of life and injuries to others,” Shuman said. “The firefighters and medical personnel on the scene did an excellent job considering the circumstances. We also want to remind the public that it is extremely dangerous to have propane cylinders stored in your home, or any other structure.”
CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The Barrow County Fire Marshal’s Office of Emergency Services is investigating the fatal fire with the assistance of the Georgia Fire Marshal’s Office and the Barrow County Sheriff’s Office.